Contents of the kit:
- 60 cm x 160 cm of cotton poplin printed with Alvéole - oekotex- 115 gr / m²
- 2 coupons of 60 cm x 160 cm of plain white cotton poplin or other colour at our convenience depending of our stock - oekotex - 115 gr / m²
- 9,5 meters of flexible round elastic of 3 mm in diameter, special masks.
- Cutting pattern
- Installation instructions
This kit does not include sewing thread, needles and other sewing materials. The fabrics in this kit are not pre-cut to give you the freedom to change the size or choose to make another type of mask.
The quantity of fabric and elastic will allow you to make 24 barrier masks of dimension 20 x 20 cm of 3 layers . with an outside face in printed cotton and a plain colour face for the inside. How to make barrier masks:
The manufacture of this mask is within the reach of any seamstress even beginners. You will find all the information necessary for the realization of this mask and the advice in the kit,. Designed for domestic and / or artisanal manufacturing, the main steps are:
- Cutting a 20 cm square square in the printed fabric and in the plain fabric
- Assembly of the 3 squares on 4 ribs using a simple seam or 2 squares for 2 layers version (with a stitching machine)
- Folding according to Afnor model
- Side seam to simultaneously fix the fold and the elastic.
We recommend this tutorial
from Elsa Couture which is very explicit and full of tips.
Discover our tutorial
on how to make your kit effectively.How to wash and maintain the masks.
According to AFNOR
recommendations, the masks must be machine washed at 60 ° c. Before using for the first time, wash the masks separately. The fabric barrier mask cannot be worn for more than 4 hours, you will need to change it and wash it often. Although the fabrics can be washed at 60 ° C, the intensive frequency of washes necessary for its use will prematurely degrade the intensity of the colors.
Wearing a protective mask does not exempt you from practicing the barrier gestures recommended by the authorities.. https://www.gouvernement.fr/sites/default/files/contenu/piece-jointe/2020/03/coronavirus_gestes_barierre_spf.pdf
As the AFNOR
document indicates, these hand-made folded barrier masks that you will assemble have not been subject to conformity assessment by certified bodies or laboratories. The design and manufacturing according to the rules of the art, and quality control remains the responsibility of those who manufacture it.